So I am doing some part-time receptionist work and someone was looking for someone so they asked me if I could page her. I have avoided this at all costs for the past 2 weeks but I didn't see how I could get out of this one. So reluctantly I did the page and my face turned bright red. Noone was even around me it was just the fact that I knew everyone in the office could hear my voice. Actually my face is still a little hot. Or another good example of this is during our childbirth class I asked a question and my face turned bright red...and then probably got 10 shades brighter when Douglas leaned over and told me that my face was turning red. It is not like it was an embarrasing question or anything. Douglas is still trying to figure me out and probably will be forever.
I have been living with this for 25 years and I still haven't figured out how to control it. I do better in small groups. This is something that Douglas is still learning about me. He loves to go to socials and just meet new people and to me that really isn't all that fun. Another thing I think people don't realize is that I can enjoy myself without being the center of attention. If I go through dinner and don't make a ton of comments it is not because I don't like you, because I am bored or am not enjoying your company it is because I prefer listening to talking.
I think the cure is doing uncomfortable things over and over again. By the end of the childbirth class I could ask a question without turning bright red.
3 comments:
you got it from dad, not me!
i love you!
Mel, you come by this honestly. You described me and my comfort level with groups perfectly. Douglas, you can blame me for this, certainly not her mother.
DAD
Melissa, you are perfect just the way you are!! I am exactly the same way when it comes to being the center of attention...I like to sit back and enjoy listening too! I tend to be the quiet type (believe it or not, haha).
Post a Comment