Tuesday, December 23, 2008

1/2 way there...

Douglas and I left Boston this morning headed to Kansas City, Missouri to celebrate Christmas with Douglas' family. We were very excited and optimistic because of the good sunny weather we were having in Boston. Well, we are a little less optimistic about flying right now as we are spending the night in Washington DC. We got to DC on-time (even a little early) and started waiting for our flight to Kansas City. We had a 2 1/2 hour layover so we settled in. Everything was on time and then we went to board the plane. That's when the trouble began, they said that we cannot board the plane because the plane is overweight!!! What, I have never heard this excuse before. It turns out that the plane had to take extra fuel so that meant less passengers. In fact, it meant 17 less passengers so at least we weren't alone. I learned from Lisa's experience not to argue but rather to get to the next best line as soon as possible so I ran to the ticketing desk. Douglas and I were 2nd a 3rd in line behind one young man. The man in front of us got a flight out that night, actually three flights. He had to go from DC to North Carolina to Houston to Kansas City. Then that option was full. So Douglas and I got the next flight option which is leaving DC tomorrow at 8 and going to North Carlina and then arriving in Kansas City at 2 or 3 (I can't remember anymore). But we were the lucky ones because we got the only tickets left for Christmas Eve.

We are really really just hoping that everything goes smoothly tomorrow. We will definitely be the first in line tomorrow.

We tried to make the best out of it and we headed to the Smithsonians and have had a fun time. It is pretty ironic because two years ago on Christmas Eve Douglas was flying on US Airways and was bumped off his flight and was given two round trip vouchers. We were using those exact vouchers today when we got bumped. Who knows what will happen when we try and use these vouchers next time..the vouchers that keep on giving. So unless you like being bumped off your flight the week of Christmas I guess you could avoid uS Airways but if you like getting vouchers it could be a great bet for you!




Douglas with modern art. Some modern art I understand some I just don't get. A pile of beautifully placed rocks. Douglas wanted to move a rock so he could claim to be part of art. Honestly I don't know if anyone (including the artist) would have noticed a difference.











A train at the transportation part of the American History Smithsonian. Douglas took this picture for his Uncle Mike who loves trains!



Kermit made it into the museum of American history. I think he deserves it.



I was really excited to see Dorothy's red ruby shoes!

4 comments:

Sonnie and Ryan said...

Well, it's too bad to be stuck, but I can't imagine a better place to be stuck!! There is so much to see there and do there! Merry Christmas!

Julie Markham said...

This is a Christmas Eve you will never forget! I'm glad you two got to spend it together. Please tell Douglas's family how much I love them, and have a wonderful holiday.

Michael said...

Sounds like you two are having quite an adventure. I sure hope you are now safe in Kansas City and enjoying Christmas with family.

What an amazing snow storm. Now I know why Lisa had such a hard time getting out.

Mel, you are truly glowing as an expectant mom!

Jenna said...

That is awful you had to spend so much time in the airport. I hope you made it and had a good Christmas. I think my favorite piece of modern art is "white on white" I think you will remember it.