To the right you can see what the plugs look like that go into the trees. These plugs also prevent microorganisms from getting into the sap.
To the left the man is tapping a maple tree. The trees are tapped going from the tops of hills to the bottom so gravity pulls the sap through tubes to a large collection bucket, as seen below. That is a sugar house. The huge white "bucket" is where the sap is collected. From there the sap is pumped into the sugar house where boiling begins.
The Sugarhouse to the right is where Douglas and I did our sugaring!
The sap is brought to this point and the BOILING begins! and it just keeps on boiling and boiling and boiling until maple syrup comes out :) Dale is to the left operating the boiler (he is Douglas' coworker responsible for this whole project)
And this is the FINAL PRODUCT!
Dale making maple candy for us. He cooled it down in the snow making hard candy sticky treats mmmmm
Maple Syrup Fun Facts:
1. It takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup
2. maple syrup tastes good on vanilla ice cream
3. maple syrup cannot freeze
see more fun facts at...http://www.vtliving.com/maple/facts.shtml
5 comments:
Hey, that looks super fun! I wish I could do fun stuff like that. Colorado really isn't that cool.
I think Colorado is pretty darn cool...Wyoming is less cool--well the weather is cool (cold!!) but there isnt a lot to do!! Melissa you guys are very adventurous!!
Hi Melissa, I have never met you but seen all your wedding pictures! My husband Tom Cannon, is Douglas' cousin. I hope you don't mind I put a link to your blog on mine. My father in law (Mike Cannon) really wants to check it out! Douglas and Eric are like sons to him. Anyway, your blog is really fun!
Sally
I like the new color scheme
Mel!!!! Thanks so much for emailing me the link to your blog. We do have a blog that is a recent development. I would love a call soon so we can catch up. It looks like you are doing well (from your blog). It is nice to be able to see what you are doing and get to know Douglas. Well call me when you get a chance.
Post a Comment